Thursday, August 09, 2007

August is for Bicycles

Greetings everyone. Just thought I would toss in a quick blog. Nothing too wild has been going on in my site. I have been continuing with english classes at the school. Right now in the Kindergarten class we just finished up the letters L for Lion and M for Monkey. Pretty exciting classes. As well in my 1st through 6th class we are reviewing classroom objects, and of course we are playing alot of Bingo which is always awesome, fun, and takes up alot of time.

I have been ramping up seriously my interviewing efforts this week. I managed to bag 15 interviews this week, which has been great. Excellent opportunity to speak to everyone one on one about this issue of the community. I have learned alot from them and look forward to implementing their recomendations. Recurring themes have been issues with Water, fixing the soccer field, Adult English Classes, Computer classes, Sources of Work, and Buses to and from my site to the city have been popular. The conditions of the houses which I have been to as expected have ranged from Cement floors with Cement walls, aka good quality house, to corrugated steel as walls and dirt floors, aka not so good quality. I have slowly come to learn that the house that I am currently living in right now is by far one of the best in my site. Although I didnt originally think that once I arrived. Everyone has a latrine aka hole they use to go to the bathroom as well to my suprise alot of people rely on rain water as their main source of water. Anyways I have been learning alot about my community through these interviews.

Today my director for my program in Peace Corps came. She arrived with a bicycle ! Which is awesome, and will hopefully cut my rigorous commute time to walk to school from 10 minutes to 3 minutes. But more importantly I can get out of my site probablty alot faster than the normal hour it takes to walk. But I am excited about the bike so it should be good.

Lately it has been raining like crazy here from basically from 4pm to 7 pm it downpours. With the days going by it is only getting stronger. Although it is very hot in the mid morning to afternoon which is alright.

Next week I will be going to the beach which will be fun and then I will attend In Service Training in San Jose for a week which should be a blast, hanging out with more volunteers.

Anyways that is all for now. I hope everyone is doing great.

Respect,

Rudy

P.S. I added a link so that you can page me on my pager. You can just send me a message to say hi, but I cannot respond back.

P.P.S. Keep the letters coming !

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey rudy,
Sorry i didnt get to see you when i was there, but i to went to montezuma. Pretty cool place huh. IT was by far the best place we visited. It also sounds like you were able to enjoy your time there. We only made it to the lower waterfall (the river was to high for leah to handle), laid on the beach and had some delicious curry in town. We would have had more time..but we got stuck in Jaco, the arm pit of costa rica.
hope all continues to go well.
luke