Thursday, May 24, 2007

First Couple Days In Site

Last Friday night as a blast with all of Tico 16. After the swearing in ceremony we wento our usual hotel in San Jose, to relax and get ready for the night ahead. Bill and I got a room togther on the third floor which actually turned out not to be the best idea since it was so close to the street, but it didnt really matter to much. Anwyays that night we went out in the San Pedro area to this really good Italian Restaurant called Il Pomodoro. I got an amazing dish of Fettucine Carbonara and split a pizza with a couple people. Bill and I took the classy road and split a bottle of Chilean White Wine. I know what you might be thinking, hey I thought Rudy was in the Peace Corps, eating rice and beans all day in the middle of nowhere, but hey when I get the chance to live it up I do. Anyways after dinner and a coiple rounds of drinks we obviously brought the party back to the hotel and lived it up there till late at night. Overall great times with everyone, it was an excellent night to celebrate all of our beginning the next 2 years.

The next morning Bill and I took the 1:00 bus to our sites from San Jose. We were lucky in taking the 1:00 bus as other people had much earlier buses to catch. It was an uneventful 5 hour ride to my bus stop in the South but when I made it there my host brother picked me up in his 1970 Toyota Landcruiser and drove me to the house. As of right now the house is under major constructions, although when it will be finished it will actually be really nice. As of right now there are 11 people living in 3 room in the house. One of the rooms is for me, alone.

The first couple days I have been using just go get myself settled in my room. Wash the walls, clean the floor, put up the mosquito net, install an electrical outlet and light in my room, organize my clothes. I havent really been changing the world yet.

Yesterday I went to this meeting for all the parents at the town school (1 classroom for 40 students) and I introduced myself again to all the parents that attended. During the meeting they discusses the possibillity of me teaching english classes once or twice a week at the school and I willing and excitingly excepted the offer. I just need to do some research as the best way to begin these classes for young children who have never had any formal english education whatsoever. As well some of the adults asked me as well to begin some classes for them as well, which I definately want to do.

I have not given any english classes yet, except for the one during training which was for us to get a taste of what it is like, but all of the other volunteers from prior years say that it is one of the best ways to integrate into the community. I feel that I will get to meet alot of people through these classes and as well gain respect in the community to work on other projects with them. In my meeting with Oscar Arias, the president of Costa Rica, he expressed great interest in our teaching english and felt it to be one of the most important things we can do for the people of Costa Rica.

After I returned from the meeting I walked back in the rain with a couple of my host brothers, sisters, nieces, and nephews (when I am in my town we are always in a large group, because i live with such a big family) and arrived to my house and entered my room to find this huge brand new beautiful faux-oak dresser that fits all of my clothes and other random things perfectly. It was a great suprise and a beautiful gesture as this piece of furniture is ,by far in my opinion, the most beautiful and most expensive piece of furniture in the whole house. I was really touched and really grateful for it. Now my room is organized really well and I feel more settled in.

Today I woke up at around 10 oclock, ate breakfast and then setoff on a 90 minute hike in the rain to get to my nearest town and use the internet. I ended up using the internet for 3 hours an was able to speak to all of my friends (Shoutouts to : Tamar, Jon, Russ, Dave, and Cownie) through Gmail chat.

Anwyays life here in Costa Rica is good for the most part. Just tackling things one day at a time. I hope things are great back at home and abroad. My brother just left to Germany 3 days ago, he should be having a rediculous time there. My adventures still continue here.

Pura Vida,

Rudy

No comments: