Friday, May 18, 2007

The Beginning

The past 11 days or so after my initial site visit have been very hectic and very busy in preparation for what just happened today, swearing in. This morning all of us went to the Embassador of the United States to Costa Rica´s house in the more luxurious part of San Jose. After passing tight security we entered his huge mansion, with pool, tennis courts, and amazing art work all throughout the house. During the ceremony there were speeches from Our Peace Corps Country Director, Peace Corps Training Director, PC Rural Community Development Director, Director of DINADECO (Costa Rican National Development Agency), and our very own Marcela of Tico 16 who gave a great speech in behalf of all of us. After the ceremony the embassador each presented us certificates showing completion of training. As of right now I am offically a Peace Corps Volunteer ! For the past three months everyone has been calling us trainees, but now I am a PCV !!! It was overall a really nice ceremony and several news stations and radio stations came to interview us and report on our swearing in. So if you are in Costa Rica tune into Noticias Repretel and you should be able to see us.

This past Wednesday we had are meeting with Oscar Arias, the president of Costa Rica. We all met up with him in the afternoon and he invited us to he equivalent of the US Oval office of Costa Rica with a huge U shaped table and all of these leather seats surrounding the table. It was a very professional meeting and we had the opportunity to ask questions at the end. I asked him : What are you most proud of about Costa Rica? and What do you like to do in your freetime? Regarding his pride to Costa Rica he said he was very proud of the people and the sustained peace Costa Rica has had throughout the past years. Also in terms of his freetime he likes to listen to music and read poetry. (*Unofficial Quotes) Overall it was a very good meeting and this was the first time he has ever met with Peace Corps volunteers so I felt especially priveleged.

Back at home in my training community, I have been wrapping things up and saying goodbye to everyone. My host dad has gone to New Jersey to visit a relative he hasnt seen in a long time. The past couple days we have been able to squeeze in some ¨Scrabble¨ nights as well as a couple trips to the local bar. The past couple days have been really fun as these are the last days we will be together as a group for a long time, since we are all leaving to our sites tommorow.

The whole training experience has been quite a wild ride. Most of the days are filled with training activities and spanish classes with little time for rest. But those days and times we do get off we definately have a great time together and live it up to the fullest. I have learned more in the past three months then I probably have had in my entire life. In terms of spanish, Peace Corps, and Costa Rican culture. I definately have become fully immersed into Costa Rica and it has become almost normal to me just living here in Costa Rica hanging out. Alot of the time when I am partying with my friends on the beach or just walking down the street with gorgeous mountains in the background I say: ¨Hey, we are in Costa Rica ! How crazy is that ?¨ Its a pretty wild adventure that as of right now seems like it is ending, as a result of the end of training, but in reality the next two years is going to be a wild wild adventure. I am grateful for all the friends I have made and I feel bad having to leave them, but I am glad that I feel this way as opposed to not, because I have an excellent support network of friends here in country to help me get through the next two years. I am confident in my ability to succesfully complete my experience here, but it certainly will not be easy. I have a community waiting for me that I am very excited to help, and hopefully will be willing to work with me to complete their goals.

Tomorrow I head off to the ¨Zona Sur¨5 hours away from San Jose to begin my two year adventure. As I will be in an extremely remote location it may take more time to update my blog but be patient and hopefully I will have some fun stories to tell as well as stories of success´ in my site.

Thank you all who have sent me letters, I am extremely grateful and it brings a HUGE smile to my face to actually recieve a handwritten letter from someone. Those who have written to me should expect something in the mail soon.

Anyways that is all for now and if anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to email me and I would love to respond. As this blog is a public forum I can necessarily express 100% of my concerns, feelings, and actions but would love to talk more in the privacy of email or letters.

I am excited for the future. I am excited to party tonight with Tico 16. And I am excited for the future of my community.

Much love everyone,

Rudy

Respect.

2 comments:

Christine O'Neill said...

Felicitaciones!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rudolph,
I am following your blog with great interest. It looks like now the real hard work will start. I wish you all the best for that and success in your community.
Love, Gabi