Wednesday, May 09, 2007

My Site

Last Thursday I headed back the mountain retreat location, where I first went after I got off the plane when I arrived in Costa Rica, for Counterpart Day. Counterapart Day is when we get the opportunity to meet our community counterparts for the first time. In this case it was the first time I got to meet someone from my community which was great. My counterpart is a middle aged woman with 9 children. She is the president of the development association at my site, and as well is the president of several different commitees in my site. She is a very kind and caring woman and seemed to be excited to meet for the first time. With my level of spanish I was generally able to understand and replying back to her regarding everything she was saying. During Counterpart Day we participated in several ice breakers and get to know each other activities. That night there was barbecue in the garden area and Byron and Jordan played and sing on the guitar as well as Bill for a couple of songs. Then we moved the excitement over to the game room where their were foosball tables, ping pong tables, and my ipod and bill´s ipod with his speakers playing music. That night I ended up staying awake till 2 am talking to a couple other volunteers.

The next morning I went with my counterpart to our bus station in San Jose and began the 5 hour bus ride to the south where my site is located. After a pretty uneventful bus ride we made it to our stop in the pouring rain. At the stop I was greeted by my host mother´s son ( my host mom is actually is also my counterpart) in his light blue 1970 toyota landcruiser which is actually a very popular car here in costa rica. We then rode to my site passing huge field of pineapples along a very rocky road. Most of the people in my area are employed by PINEDECO which is a pineapple company, which also goes by the brand name Del Monte. So chances are if you buy a Del Monte pineapple from costa rica it was probably grown within several square miles of my site. Anyways, when I entered my site that night it was very dark and I couldnt see much. There was a fork in the road leading to the church, soccer field, small store, and school and then the other road leading to my house. I arrived in the house to find my large host family awaiting my arrival. There are 3 young girls, 1 young boy, 1 teenage girl, 2 teenage boys, another older daughter, her ¨boyfriend¨and my host mom all living in an extremely small house which is undergoing massive renovations. In the future I will put up pictures but because of the internet connection it is hard to load them all up. Anyways I was immediately served dinner and then after watching some ¨La Escrava Isaura¨, extremely popular soap opera in costa rica, went to sleep.

The next morning I slept extremely late till 8 AM. Read for 3 hours ( Im reading ¨Shantaram¨ right now it is awesome) then walked over to the school and waited for the teachers to dismiss the students, so that I could introduce myself to them. The school consists of one class room and one lunch room. There are 2 teachers for 40 children all in one room, for grade 1 to 5. They just recently built a small hut for the kindergarten which use to be run out of a small cafeteria storage room. Both of the teachers were extremely kind, and are both very intelligent and capable teachers. Before hand I looked at one of my host sisters math books and the work they are doing there is very impressive. Anyways it was great to meet the two teachers and they are excited to work with me, just as I am excited to start work with them. After meeting with the teachers I returned back to my house with the entourage of children who live at my house who just got finished with school. At 4 oclock that afternoon my counterpart/host mom/president of the association told me that there was going to be a community meeting for me to speak to the association members. I walked with my counterpart and 2 daughters ,one who had another son , to the church were the meeting was held. I was expecting to see maybe 5 to 6 people at the meeting of the association but low and behold I walked into the church and 40 community members were waiting to meet me. It was slightly overwelming but extremely flattering and comforting that people are first of all interested in meeting me, and seemingly willing to work together with me on projects and goals for their community. My counterpart did a small introduction which then segwayed me unexpectantly talking for 30 minutes entirely in spanish, about myself, peace corps, what i am doing here, my background, my favorite food, my favorite sport, everything. Overall it was a very succesfull meeting and it gave me an excellent opportunity to meet alot of community members all at once. One teenager went up to me and asked me when we can start english classes, then four to five other people chimed in in agreement. As well I recieved several invites for cafecito in the future. The community members where all extremely interested in me and I look forward to working with them to better their already beautiful community.

The next day I went with my host sisters ¨boyfriend¨, i say ¨boyfriend¨because i dont really know their relation and i believe they have had two children together but when i asked him he said they just ¨live together¨, out to my local city and as well to a private farm. Where I may or may not have seen roosters engaging in combat for 5 hours. After a few imperials and possibly witnesssing the death of a couple roosters we left to head back to my site. At my house I played hide and seek and cops and robbers with the young kids in the house. Then attempted to teach (4) six to eight year old children how to play chess in spanish. Which didnt turn out succesfull. That night I went to sleep with the sound of rain against the roof and the feeling of 100 tiny little ants biting my legs for 3 hours.

The next morning I slept late until 7:30. I say I slept late because at 5:30 everyday everyone in my house wakes up and blasts the radio and as well the sun light and heat is beating through my windowless window with wooden shutter at around 6:00. Anyways I commenced and read for 2 hours then went on this insanely long hike all around my site for 5 hours with my host mom and her daughter. We walked for what seemed like 7 miles up and down mountains and rocky roads, stopping to see the view and meeting random people of the town. I ate 4 mangos and drank water at 3 different houses. Most of the housed in my town are very seperated and it took 45 minutes to reach the farthest house out from my house. We also walked all the way to the river near my site where the electric company of costa rica, ICE, is thinking about buiilding a hydro electric dam. During our walk back it started downpouring, which was very much welcomed after walking in much of the mid day heat. When we got back to the house I had lunch and then later that night attempted to teach the kids to play chess again. Which again proved to be unsuccesfull, although one of them is catching on. The hardes piece to explain was the ¨Knight¨ which makes an ¨L¨shaped maneuver on the board. Haha. Anways.

The next morning, or today I woke up and caught the 9:30 bus to San Jose and made it in just about 5 hours which is great. Right now I am in an Internet Cafe typing this blog and will soon go to another restaurant with some other volunteers to exchange stories about our site visits.

Overall I am very satisfied with my site visit. My hose family and the whole community was very excited to have me and I look forward to doing work with them. Being at my site heightened the reality that I will be living there for 2 years in conditions very different from my prior life in New York. Being away from friends, family, and all the other important relationships I have in my life is hard. I realize I am going to be living with a very large family and technically won´t be alone, but in terms of having another person to speak English to and someone who can relate to me will be impossible to find. Several volunteers are near me as well as a couple of good friends of mine are in the Zona Sur so it shouldnt be too bad. The loneliness factor was really the only thing which was difficult to deal with during that 5 day trip but I know things will get better.

I have 11 more days here in the San Jose are before I move back to my site officially for the 2 years. Within these 11 days we will have a party for our host families here in our training communities, have more spanish and peace corps class, and also we will be meeting the President of Costa Rica, Oscar Arias. I am really looking forward to that meeting. We are going to his house which should be crazyyyy.

Anwyays that is all for now. I am excited to be back in San Jose with all the other volunteers and aswell my host family in my training community.

Thank you all for reading my blog. I love and miss you all.

Respect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha I liked "Where I may or may not have seen roosters engaging in combat for 5 hours"

take it easy