Sunday, September 23, 2007

Living in Costa Rica = Amazing Times

So far soo good here in Costa Rica. My dad had the opportunity to visit early this month which was an absolute blast. We had the opportunity to do alot of different things together, while still having the ability to spend time at my site in the beautiful southern part of Costa Rica. It was really amazing to have someone from home, especially my dad, come visit me out here in the Jungle.

After my Dads visit I made my way over to San Jose for the bi annual VAC Dinner were we celebrated the new ¨Tico¨groups arrival and the oldest group departure. Tico 16 represented again strong, with everyone showing up to the event. As well we ran the party as evident of the after dinner ¨fiesta¨in my hotel room which had a large attendance to say the least. Then the next to a large amount of us went to the illustrious Terramall to watch movies. Andrew, Bill and I managed to watch the terrible movie entitled ¨Edison¨starring LL Cool J and Justin Timberlake. At least we were sitting in an air conditioned room with comfortable chairs, that is really all that matters.

Monday late afternoon I made it back to my site in one piece. I have continued working with the children in my town at the school regarding English classes. They are going well and I am incorporating more fun learning games into my curriculum which makes it fun for me and them. This Thursday I held a meeting at the town church regarding adult english classes. I had a very large attendance at the meeting of alittle over 35 people. I was very excited that people showed alot of enthusiasm regarding these future classes. I have now setup to new adult classes on tuesdays and wednesdays during the late afternoon and night. This coming week will be the first round of classes for the adults and I am eager to start working with them. The classes will serve as a great opportunity for learning within the community as well serve as a social opportunity for members of the community to get to know each other better.

This week I am looking to wrap up all my individuals interviews in my town . I have already written the first draft of my CAT (Community Analysis Tool) but in order for everything to be up to date and accurate I need to finish all my interviews. For the most part the interviews house to house have been a great experience. It is great to step foot into every house in my village and really talk face to face with the individuals about their happinesses, concerns, and lives overall.

I am looking to continue working with the newly formed committee de deportes (sports commitee) regarding fixing the soccer field and getting new uniforms for the sports teams. As well I look forward to my continued work with the development association regarding the water situation in my town.

Overall things are good in Costa Rica. Life is very good. I feel fully comfortable in my site and generally getting to and being anywhere in Costa Rica. I am excited to work with a couple new volunteers who have recently arrived in the southern part of Costa Rica, and as well continue work with my community members. What I love most about my life is the freedom which I have. The freedom to wake up everyday and say : Hey, What do I want to do today? I feel like never again in my life will I have the freedoms which I have now to simply do whatever I want, while still having the ultimate goal of helping people help themselves at the same time. Before coming here I told my self that this opportunity will allow me to do some soul searching and really discover what I want to do with my life. Well I have done a little bit of both, I still look forward to the future time I have here.

Anyways that is the latest from me. I look forward to seeing you all down here ASAP. Special thanks to Tamar and my family for sending me packages out here in the Jungle.

One Love. Respect.

No comments: